S.S.S. Study Christian Character Traits
Family School at Faith Baptist Church
Week 1: Honesty
1. In principle, an upright disposition; moral rectitude of heart; a disposition to conform to justice and correct moral principles, in all social transactions. In fact, upright conduct; an actual conformity to justice and moral rectitude.
2. Fairness; candor; truth; as the honesty of a narrative.
The word honest is used only seven times in Gods word, all of which are in the New Testament, which tells us that God places honest living high on the list of how His children should behave.
Luke 8:15, Acts 6:3, Romans 12:17, 2nd Corinthians 8:21, 13:7, Philippians 4:8, 1st Peter 2:12
The word honestly is used three times and all are also found only in the New Testament.
Romans 13:13, 1st Thessalonians 4:12, Hebrews 3:18
The word honesty is used only once, also in the New Testament. 1st Timothy 2:2
Why not to be honest?
Dishonesty often appears to have the potential to momentarily, carnally, benefit us. Honesty rarely pays in worldly goods, often when tempted to be dishonest it is for our own fleshly gain, wether it be money which has no real value (Psalm 39:6-7), or standing in the community (Acts 4:34-5:10).
Why be honest?
From reading/studying the earlier verses where the word honest/honesty/honestly are found, we are able to glimpse the reasons why we are to live honestly.
1. An honest life is a great testimony to a world drowning in dishonesty.
(Romans 12:17, 2nd Corinthians 8:21, 1st Peter 2:12)
The simple reason to live honestly as Christian, is because the world doesn't, John 15:19.
2. Your honest living is beneficial to yourself and your Christian brethren, Philippians 4:8.
Ever heard the phrase "hypocrite"? Your honest lifestyle makes one less example of that.
3. Your honesty with God the brethren and even the world is desired by and well pleasing to God.
1st Timothy 2:2-3.
Why does the honesty of every single Christian matter to God? What's the big deal about a little lie, a stretch of the truth, a concealing of the facts?
Revelation 21:7-8, are you a liar? Are you honest?
1st Timothy 2 Verse 4, it matters because when the "Christian" shows a dishonest life to the lost world, they do not see Jesus Christ in us.
So let us take the advice from Paul in 2nd Corinthians 13:7 "Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates."