1. "For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast,"
Any time an angel delivered a message from God it was exactly that, God's message to His people, not the Angels interpretation or what the Angel thought, it was what God said. Also, every time an angel said something, it happened, every single time, their word was steadfast.
- The angels warning Lot that Sodom and Gomorrah would be destroyed Genesis 19:13, Lots family would not heed the warning and the destruction still came! Our opinion of Gods plan does not change Gods plan!
- An angel spoke to the women at Christ's tomb, an angel spoke to Sampson's mother, an angel spoke to the shepherds when Christ was born, an angel spoke to Mary, and many more times throughout His word God gave angels very important messages and they were always carried out.
2. "and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward;"
EVERY Transgression and disobedience, are you a transgressor? Definition: "To offend by violating a law; to sin. To pass over or beyond any limit", 1st John 3:4, Romans 3:23, all are transgressors, all have disobeyed God's law in some way.
So what is the Just recompense of reward?
- Sin brings death/earthly consequences, Ex: David and Bathsheba, Sampson and Delilah
- Death having rejected salvation brings Hell/eternal consequences, Revelation 20:11-15
3. "How shall we escape;" If the verse ended here how sad it would be... We would be left guessing for all eternity how to escape!
- Shall I escape through disbelief? If I don't think about it, it won't happen to me.. Luke 16:19-24
- Shall I escape by my works? By being a good person? Ephesians 2:8-9
- Shall I escape by assuming God wouldn't "send me to Hell"? 2nd Peter 2:4-9
4. "If we neglect so great salvation;" Why SO GREAT?
- Because of the debt we owed- Every sin, any sin brings a guilty verdict, Romans 6:23
- Because of our inability to pay our debt- Eternity in Hell, or free gift, Isaiah 64:6, Ephesians 2:12
- Because of the value of the payment used- Jesus Christ, John 3:16
- Because of the status gained- Saved, redeemed, justified, joint heirs, sons of God! Romans 8:16-17
So, who would neglect such a great salvation? Those who do not see their great need for it,
- Those who think it's not important- no urgency, Proverbs 27:1
- Those who think it's not necessary- no fear of God, Proverbs 9:10
- Those who think it isn't applicable to them, (the I prayed a prayer crowd) Matthew 7:21-23
Note: our greatest job as we will see in a moment is to confirm to others who Jesus was, why that matters, and how urgently they need to be saved... Jude 1:22-23, Colossians 1:28. Tell the world what they need Isn't, a new job, more money, or a better life, they need Jesus Christ, they need salvation!
5. The way this verse ends- Praise God,
"which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;"
- The idea of being saved through Christ did not originate with a man, a cult leader, or a political power, but with the Son of God Himself! John 6:47-51, John 10:27-30, John 14:6.
- Now it is our turn to confirm Christ's message to this world, if you are save tonight you are one who has heard Him, it is your job and mine to tell EVERYONE,
2. why He matters- because Hell is real, death is certain, and Jesus is the ONLY way!
3. and what He offers- Great salvation!