Duties- ask teens what they believe their fathers duties are according to scripture.
The responsibilities of a father,
- Correction- Proverbs 3:12, difficulty from the fathers perspective, causing pain to someone you love in order to keep them from worse harm.
- Instruction- Proverbs 1:8,4:1, Proverbs 22:6, freely bestowing all your wisdom to a child in the hopes of giving that child a better life than you had. (Not always easy activity)
- Provision- 1st Timothy 5:8, Proverbs 13:22
- Nurturing, admonishing, and encouraging children to walk with God. Ephesians 6:4, Colossians 3:21
Admonish: To warn, or to counsel against wrong practices.
A good father: Putting God first- Jacob and Issac, Genesis 22:6-17
Our obligation to our fathers:
1. Respect, Proverbs 20:20, Mark 7:10, Exodus 20:12
2. Listen/learn dad has been there before and though he may not know everything, he probably knows more than you about the things that matter most.
3. Obey, Deuteronomy 21:18, Proverbs 30:17
The big BUT
BUT MY DADS MEAN, BUT MY DADS UNFAIR, BUT MY DAD ISN’T ALWAYS RIGHT… Has your father ever sent you to DIE on a cross for the sins of other people? Fathers are humans too, they make mistakes, but considering the responsibilities we have just studied (not to mention the husbanding responsibilities they have) we should probably be less critical and more grateful for dad.
Are there cruel unsaved fathers? Yes, does that give you a free pass to ignore what God said? No.
To wrap up let's talk briefly about our Heavenly Father.
1. What does our Heavenly Father do for us?
2. What does our Heavenly Father provide for us?
3. Is our Heavenly Father ever to tired, busy, or grumpy to talk to us?
4. What does our Heavenly Father desire from us in return for all the blessings He bestows?
HOMEWORK: PICK A FATHER IN THE BIBLE AND WRITE A ONE PAGE REPORT ON HIM.