Group discussion question: What do you think are Biblical obligations that mothers have?
- Responsible for the children- While dad is tasked with bringing home the bacon as we saw in 1st Timothy 5:8, mom is tasked with cooking it Proverbs 31:15
- Responsible for the teaching- Proverbs 1:8, 6:20 while fathers also have this responsibility it is the mother who will have the most time with a child to do the training (dads at work)
- Responsible for the overall wellbeing of the family, guiding the home, 1st Timothy 5:14, Proverbs 31:10-31
You cannot guide the home from a job site.
Moms many hats, according to scripture a mother is a caregiver, a teacher, a coat maker, anything that goes with keeping a house running smoothly, that's moms job.
The best moms understand who their children belong to- 1st Samuel 1:11, 27-28
Note- Just as the things we studied already about fathers are things each girl should be looking for in a future husband, these qualities are something you boys should be looking for in a future wife.
Our obligation to our mothers:
1. Respect, Leviticus 19:2-3. Discuss: what does it mean to respect someone? How do you show that you respect someone?
2. Listen/learn mom has been there before and though she may not know everything, she probably knows more than you do about the things that matter most.
3. Obey, Deuteronomy 21:18, Proverbs 30:17
4. Treat her as your superior not your servant! Exodus 20:12
The big BUT
BUT MY MOMS MEAN, BUT MY MOMS UNFAIR, BUT MY MOM ISN’T ALWAYS RIGHT… Mothers are humans too, they make mistakes, but considering the responsibilities we have just studied (not to mention the marital responsibilities they have) we should probably be less critical and more grateful for mom.
Are there cruel unsaved mothers? Yes, are there mothers who do not do what Gods word says they should? Yes absolutely. Does that give you a free pass to ignore what God said about how you treat your mother? No.
Final class question- Have each teen name either something mom did, said, or taught to them that they appreciated.
Class activity/Homework: Each teen must write a thank you card to their moms listing and thanking them for as many things the teen can think of that mom has done for them.